Introducing Google Play: All your entertainment, anywhere you go

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 | 11:06 AM

(Cross-posted from the Official Google Blog)

Entertainment is supposed to be fun. But in reality, getting everything to work can be the exact opposite—moving files between your computers, endless syncing across your devices, and wires…lots of wires. Today we’re eliminating all that hassle with Google Play, a digital entertainment destination where you can find, enjoy and share your favorite music, movies, books and apps on the web and on your Android phone or tablet. Google Play is entirely cloud-based so all your music, movies, books and apps are stored online, always available to you, and you never have to worry about losing them or moving them again.



With Google Play you can:

  • Store up to 20,000 songs for free and buy millions of new tracks
  • Download more than 450,000 Android apps and games
  • Browse the world’s largest selection of eBooks
  • Rent thousands of your favorite movies, including new releases and HD titles
Starting today, Android Market, Google Music and the Google eBookstore will become part of Google Play. On your Android phone or tablet, we’ll be upgrading the Android Market app to the Google Play Store app over the coming days. Your videos, books and music apps (in countries where they are available) will also be upgraded to Google Play Movies, Google Play Books and Google Play Music apps. The music, movies, books and apps you’ve purchased will continue to be available to you through Google Play—simply log in with your Google account like always.

To celebrate, we’ll be offering a different album, book, video rental and Android app at a special price each day for the next week in our “7 Days to Play” sale. In the U.S., today’s titles include the collection of top 40 hits Now That's What I Call Music 41, the popular game Where's My Water, the novel Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and the movie Puncture for just 25 cents each. In addition, you'll find great collections of hip-hop, rock and country albums for $3.99 all week, detective novels from $2.99, some of our editorial team's favorite movies from 99 cents, and our favorite apps from 49 cents.

In the U.S., music, movies, books and Android apps are available in Google Play. In Canada and the U.K., we’ll offer movies, books and Android apps; in Australia, books and apps; and in Japan, movies and apps. Everywhere else, Google Play will be the new home for Android apps. Our long-term goal is to roll out as many different types of content as possible to people around the world, and we’ll keep adding new content to keep it fresh.

To learn more, head over to play.google.com/about or keep up with the latest on our Google+ page. If you’re headed to Austin later this week for South by Southwest, come to the Google Village to see Google Play in action. We can’t wait for you to try Google Play and experience a simpler way to manage your entertainment.

24 comments:

Don said...

Please direct me towards instructions to disable Priority and Important labels in mobile Gmail on Android. They seriously impede my emailing effectiveness. In Google help forums I have read many frustrated users who want to turn them off but no instructions that actually succeed in doing so.

Unknown said...

wow.. cant wait for the push upgrade... could someone redirect me to the apk file?? or probably mail me on krutarth.arora.ka@gmail.com
id be really obliged ...!!
<3 you google.. google play came up as a surprise ...

MrPendulum said...

So, when is Australia going to see the Movies and Music part of this?

Top Dog 2000 said...

I'm giving up on Google. I bought my first Android phone 2 years ago and has been waiting ever since for music and movies to show up in the store. It appears that Europeans are not valued customers.

Somehow, the Apple guys has been able to sell Music to me for the past 5 years. Why is it taking so long? I have lost confidence in Google in this respect.

My Nexus One is dying and I was planning to get the HTC One X. Now I will wait a bit longer and get the iPhone 5.

BlackShadow said...

What kind of dumb ass person found the need to change Android so much and call it an "upgrade" it to" simplify things" or make them better? This made things worse, confusing for new users and it is considered a downgrade. Nobody likes this and I hope this stupid idea dies off quickly and everything would be changed back to normal. I have always been a fan of Google, Android, and the Android Market*, and came from the Apple side of things and usually support or have faith in the unnecessary changes Google makes but this is where me and millions of other people draw the line and want you to upgrade this downgrade by undoing Google Play. The Android Market made way more sense than play, for example when you want to get food you go to they market not the play. Google Play should be undone and turned into a Android Market Gift card name. Ex. Android Market Play Cards or Android Play cards.

BlackShadow said...

What kind of dumb ass person found the need to change Android so much and call it an "upgrade" it to" simplify things" or make them better? This made things worse, confusing for new users and it is considered a downgrade. Nobody likes this and I hope this stupid idea dies off quickly and everything would be changed back to normal. I have always been a fan of Google, Android, and the Android Market*, and came from the Apple side of things and usually support or have faith in the unnecessary changes Google makes but this is where me and millions of other people draw the line and want you to upgrade this downgrade by undoing Google Play. The Android Market made way more sense than play, for example when you want to get food you go to they market not the play. Google Play should be undone and turned into a Android Market Gift card name. Ex. Android Market Play Cards or Android Play cards.

bluenazgul said...

And when we will get Music,Books and Video in Germany?

Rajib Biswas said...

Yes lawn tractor tires is completely neutral as a renowned.

Tranquilo said...

Please Mr. Google, let me use a simple icon for access to your Play-Market isntead a widget that occupies the space of 4 icons, animated and full of advertising.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Yeah what about Europe :-(

Remko said...

I'm in 'anywhere else' (Netherlands). Any information on the (upcoming) availablity of this service would be very welcome!

At this moment, I get redirected from the play.google.com homepage to the play.google.com homepage when I click anywhere, and I bet with me many others. 'Not available in your region yet', okay, but a small note to that would be awesome.

ape as in gorilla said...

Thank you Google! I am learning how my Droid works. And I am having fun!

Unknown said...

Try This.......
......................
https://www.google.com.pk/search?q=site%3Ajeepkhan.blogspot.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&client=firefox-a

Foreign User said...

..."a digital entertainment destination where you can find, enjoy and share your favorite music, movies, books and apps..."?

Over here in Germany all this magic is just a strange new name for the android market. No music, no movies, only apps. I spend money at itunes, dropbox, amazon - but google does not want to have German customers? Strange and incomprehensible :-/

Vics said...

So now my trusty G1 backup phone cannot access the market; it goes straight to a 'google play terms and conditions' page that has no check box or other means of navigating elsewhere; I had to factory reset after reclaiming it from a friend who had borrowed it, now I can't get the apps I desire because the desktop site is too hard to navigate on the phone. nice one.

Kenneth said...

"Entertainment is supposed to be fun"

AND global.

Remember that.

MG said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

MG said...

How to comment on the big screwed up Google on the Play issue. Give me my basic Android market back. Get rid of this play crap. Or, at least change it to GoogleMarket, GoogleBooks, GoogleMusic, and Google**. To be direct; the Play name sucks and sounds stupid. And, I don't play books. I don't want to store or access anything online. I want the basics back. Give me the Market with or without the media crap. Keep the android apps separate if need be. And, further; who ever came up with and voted for the “Play” idea should be fired, and maybe tar and feathered.

Unknown said...

google is the best

Iva said...

I can't even see non-free apps on Play from Serbia anymore! I can understand that there are some legal reasons for Google to disable selling in my country, but why I can't see those apps' pages, read descriptions, reviews, see screenshots... Even if I can't buy it I want to educate myself. This is censorship!

online shop said...

nice info, keep posting bro
wow, nice blog.. where i can get this template?

STARGSM CELL PHONES said...

Mr. Jamie Rosenbergdigital you are right described entertainment destination there are no any suspense, so i advised for buy for enjoying.

Thanks for the posting.

Unknown said...

Wow Buddy Thats Call The Real Blog This Blog Is The Gold Mine Who Find The Real Art....

sinip said...

I don't see a reason for complain about not being able to pay for something like that in Europe when you can already get all of that for pretty much free elsewhere on internet.